Monday, December 15, 2008

Dear Friends,

Natalie and Joshua are gearing up for Christmas, as they do every year! Our home is decorated and we have beautiful lights on the outside thanks to neighbors, Bob and Dan, who ascended to our rooftop and outlined it with lights like Jerry has done for the past 2 years. I am sure Jerry must be beaming with pride for all our neighbors who are taking such good care of Natalie, Joshua and myself. We truly love each family!

It is hard for me preparing for Christmas and the New Year without Jerry by my side. I miss his companionship so much and long for his input in decisions that I must make. I hate being the sole decision maker...and I'm such an indecisive person that it is so funny to me that God would even place me in this position! I just have to laugh sometimes and wonder what His plan is for my life. I have prayed that God will grant me wisdom in everything that I do, and asked that He very clearly lay it all out in front of me, even suggesting that He write it down on paper and just leave it on my countertop. How's that for bold! I'm sure God must shake His head sometimes and think, Candy, Candy, Candy. God certainly has a lot to teach me, and this has been my prayer lately:

Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good spirit lead me on level ground. Psalm 143:10

As I still grieve for Jerry everyday, I am constantly reminded of Jesus' grief over the death of Lazarus. However, Jesus didn't weep because Lazarus had died, for He already knew that He was going to bring Lazarus back to life. He wept for the sisters because he saw all the pain they were suffering through and thus people He loved were hurting. I think of my own pain and suffering because of the death of Jerry and to quiet my affliction and grief, I've even wished that God would bring Jerry back to life. I have been reading A Grief Observed by C. S. Lewis. I am actually reading it through a second time and trying to catch everything I missed the first time around. In talking about his wife's death, Lewis also wishes for her return. He then says he never even raised the question whether such a return, if it were possible, would be good for her. Lewis states, "Could I have wished her anything worse? Having got once through death, to come back and then, at some later date, have all her dying to do over again? They call Stephen the first martyr. Hadn't Lazarus the rawer deal?" I had never thought of it that way. For in my affliction I am only thinking of myself and the restoration that I would like for my past life. Would I really want that for Jerry. I think about what all Jerry has gained through death, yes, through death. And now I am beginning to understand Paul's words in Philippians.

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21

I can only imagine what all Jerry has gained! He has gained a life in the full presence of the Almighty, free from cancer, free from pain, free from sin. Full of joy, full of happiness, full of peace. Would I really want him to leave all of that? No. And, that's where faith once again enters the picture.

For without faith, it is impossible to please God. Hebrews 11:6a

I have faith that God is walking this heartbreaking journey right alongside of me. When my heart breaks, His heart breaks. God mourns with me! He cares about every detail of my life. He is the author and perfector of my faith. I trust that He has good things in store for me. Believe that God is good.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
- Author Unknown

Love, Candy




7 comments:

Jill Stacy said...

Candy,
You show over and over how strong you are. I know you are dealing with some really difficult things and difficult times. Your faith in God is such an inspiration to me. I pray that you and the children will be able to find some joy in the holidays even though you will miss Jerry's presence. I love you, Natalie and Joshua and pray God's richest blessings on all of you.
Love,
Jill

laurapaulm said...

Candy, I admire your unwavering faith even in the face of grief, fear, and uncertainty. I can only imagine the lives that have been and are being changed through the testimony you are living. We are still praying for all three of you, especially through the next few weeks of holidays. We love you!!
Laura

Lara Willbanks said...

Candy,
Every time I check in to read what you've written I am blown away at the perspective you have. I know the grief must feel crushing at times, but I thank God for how he is using you to teach and inspire people like me to keep my eyes firmly fixed on Him.
May God hold you fast as we wait for Christ to come again.
He is coming!
Love,
Mike Willbanks

Robinplace said...

Candy,
I was just typing a friend's address into an email, and lo and behold up popped Jerry's instead! Through teary eyes I also had to smile at the small ways he continually reminds us that he will always be in our lives in a big way.

Much love to you, Natalie and Joshua during this beautiful Christmas season!

Love,
Robin

Lori said...

Candy,
I know things are hard as you deal with so much sadness right now. But I know you are doing a great job of helping the kids through this tough time. Good for you for going ahead with your Thanksgiving plans -- what an adventure! I am thinking of you and praying for you every day. I love your blog updates -- always an inspiration.
Love,
Lori

tracie said...

Candy,

I just found out about Jerry's passing. I am still in great shock and disbelief. I am sorry I did not know until now. Barry called me and told me he received a Christmas card from you and what you wrote. Jerry was a wonderful person; both Barry and I feel very lucky to have known him. And you as well. I hope Natalie and Joshua are coping as best they can. Children can be so much more resilient than adults sometimes. My prayers are with them and you. Please, if there is ever anything I can do for you, just let me know. Your faith is inspiring and as we all know, only God can give us His wonderful peace. I would love to hear back from you sometime.

With much love and sadness,

Tracie Blake

Kim Davis said...

Candy,
I know I don't know you well, but I visit your blog periodically to see what I should be specifically praying for you, Natalie and Joshua. I always come away blessed and challenged. Have you ever considered writing devotionals? You really already are. I have been so touched by your words and I feel certain that others have as well. I will be praying for God's clear guidance for you even in the very small decisions.
Love,
Kim