Monday, February 23, 2009

Tour of California

Dear Friends,

The past week has been difficult without Jerry. Valentine's Day was really sad and then to top that off cycling's Tour of California (America's biggest bicycle race) began on February 14 with 9 days of racing and finished up yesterday. It's a timed 750-mile race that began in northern California near Sacramento and ends in southern California at Escondido. It was a race that Jerry followed each year and thoroughly enjoyed and I thought of him constantly with every bit of news that I saw or read over the week. In fact, I didn't know it, but Jerry had already pre-programmed our TV to record this cycling series. I realized this one day this past week when I turned on the TV one afternoon and it automatically jumped to the cycling channel and was in the middle of recording. I now have 5 of the 8 stages recorded - the others of which were deleted when the kids would turn on our TV and stop/delete the recording so they could watch the Disney Channel! ha ha ...sorry Jerry!
It's bittersweet to know that I have these recordings and yet I found myself watching some of the race yesterday just to honor Jerry, knowing that if he were here that's what we'd be doing.


This picture is of Jerry taken in 2007 at the starting line of Stage 6 that left from Santa Barbara.

Lance Armstrong participated in the race this year (and if I'm not mistaken this was the first time he has participated in this race?) and his teammate, Levi Leipheimer, won the race for the 3rd year in a row. It crushed me knowing that Jerry would have gone to some of the race sites had he been here in hopes of catching a glimpse of Lance and possibly snapping a picture. He would have just been thrilled!





Another picture of Jerry at the 2007 Tour of California.


All this racing makes me think of Jerry and the race that he has now finished and WON!

Titus 4:7-8 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day - and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Friends, it's a free invitation and God wants all of us on His team!
Run the race with me and join me in greeting Jerry at the finish line!

Love, Candy

4 comments:

Travis and Maggie said...

I stumbled across your blog today, wow!
Thanks for writing!

Brick said...

Candy,

I watched the race every day. I thought of Jerry, every day. I continue to pray for you every day. I know the Lord continues to sustain you, Natalie and Joshua...every day.
In Him,
Scott

laurapaulm said...

There's no doubt that because of your testimony, there will be several more people at the end of this final race.

I have seen several cyclists out this week and thought of Jerry everytime.

Continuing to lift you up in prayer,
Laura

Amy J. Baird said...

Last year I remember Jerry & Goodloe going up to Santa Ynez to watch the timed trials, unfortunately I wasn't able to join them, however I went this year and enjoyed it thoroughly and thought of Jerry the whole time. I was lucky enough to get a CHP ride that follows one of the riders and thought wow I hope Jerry is enjoying this from his view!! You are not alone Candy and I think of you all the time!! Sending warm hugs and hoping you are able to enjoy the sunsets and each of God's miracles as if Jerry were still by your side because his love is with you eternally!

xoxo

Amy Julia