Friday, February 6, 2009
















He created the heavens and all that is in them, the earth and all that is in it, and the sea and all that is in it...(Revelation 10:6)

I took this picture last Saturday evening while Natalie, Joshua and I were walking along the beach with friends. I was able to capture the sunset at just the right moment and wanted to share it with you! We could see and feel the handiwork of our great God as we enjoyed the sand and the water and our hearts were captivated by his goodness and creativity! Natalie was able to find several pieces of sea glass that she is collecting and was very excited. In one particular area the rocks were covered with mussels and other sea life. However, Joshua and his friend, Brent, were more interested in picking up sticks and wood to build a fort than they were in anything else...boys!





As we walked the beach this particular day a lot of my thoughts were with Jerry. I even felt guilty for enjoying the beach and surrounding beauty without him. Jerry was the whole reason that God enabled us to move here in the first place! Now, I'm still here and he's gone. Death is such an ugly reminder of the sin curse that our world suffers from. As Randy Alcorn put it in his book Heaven, "We all have a terminal disease called mortality. The current death rate is 100%." For Jerry, death just came a lot sooner than was ever anticipated. However, death is not the end for those who have put their faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. For Christians never really die. Death is the doorway to eternal life. Jerry has not ceased to live, he just changed his address!

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him! (Psalm 34:8)
Thank you to many of you who continue to send cards and e-mails and check on us with phone calls. It lets me know that we are not forgotten. It is always funny how those cards seem to come at just the right moment too. I was feeling particularly lonely earlier this week. This past Monday, February 2nd, marked 4 months since Jerry died. I felt as if the world were going on without us and we were being left behind. During this week I received 4 cards from people and each one specifically told me that "although friends and family are back to their routines, our heavy loss had not been forgotten and that we are thought of and prayed for continously. Now how does God do that? !! Four cards...from 4 different people who spoke exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for remembering us!
Candy

3 comments:

kevndawn said...

Dear Candy,
What an honor it was to sit next to you in Bible study this morning.
I have been so blessed reading your blog since Jerry's illness and now through your time of real grief and constant sorrow. Thank you for sharing your gift of capturing honest brokenness and pain while also acknowledging the truth of who God is. As in our Bible Study, I can see WHOSE you are by the way you live your life...with transparency and faith. I love you, Candy, even though I only met you once before. I will also continue to pray for you, Natalie, and Joshua. ♥Dawn Montgomery

Jill Stacy said...

Candy,

Your sunset picture is absolutely beautiful. There is not much that can surpass that beauty. I know it's easier said than done, but you shouldn't feel guilty for experiencing things without Jerry. You know he would be so happy to know that you are enjoying God's beautiful world. Besides, just think of the beauty he is experiencing in the presence of our Lord! You are in my prayers. I love you and the children and pray life's best for you.
Love,
Jill

Unknown said...

Candy - My heart is with you, Natalie and Joshua this evening.
We missed all of you at the family reunion this year. It just wasn't the same without Jerry Pat's rich laughter as we sat around the pool reminiscing about "old times." I still have Jerry Pat's picture on my refrigerator and there's not a day that goes by that I don't remember our good times together.
God bless all of you. You are always in my heart and prayers.
anita