Dear Friends,
I'm just going to share some sweet memories I have and a laugh or two that occured within my family after Jerry passed away, not that they were funny at the moment though! Immediately after Jerry died I went on "auto-pilot." I have read where this is very normal, and now I can truly see and understand that this is exactly what one does. My mind was in such a fog that I immediately just went through the motions of all the planning and preparations that one must do after a loved one dies. However, I am ever so grateful for my 4 siblings that came out to California to be with me and help me through this process (along with my parents).
I have 3 brothers who accompanied me to the mortuary (along with my Dad). My brothers also went to the florist shop with me to pick out flowers for Jerry's casket. I was so indecisive on everything because my grief and disbelief was so heavy, and they were really sweet to help and we had several laughs along the way. Once again, my 3 brothers followed me to Macy's to pick out clothing for Jerry (none of his suits in our closet would fit). I don't think I could have done it without them. I let them mix and match everything and they pieced it all together for me. It was really funny watching them go at it. Then, knowing that I had said that I needed a dress for Jerry's services as well, they encouraged me to go ahead and try to find something. Besides, we were already in Macy's anyway, and it's not like I had a lot of time to shop in the near future. So over to the women's department we go. I'm sure we looked like a 3-ring circus...me and 3 men in the women's clothing at Macy's Department Store, and they are all trying to help me shop! I did find a dress...and they all agreed on it! I'm just really fond of these memories with them, and the way they loved me. Thank you brothers!
The next day, my mother, Natalie and I head off to Nordstrom's to shop for a dress for Natalie. She found a dress on the 3rd floor and we ended up carrying it down to the 1st floor to try and find shoes. Unable to find shoes, we decide we need to look elsewhere and we needed to hurry, the stores were about to close. We leave Nordstrom's and enter another store. While looking around, Natalie suddenly announces, "Mom"...and I turn to her and see that she is holding the dress from Nordstrom, still on its hanger and draped over her arm. In our haste we had left the store without paying for the dress. I grabbed the dress and took off running, all the while thinking, "Great, we've stolen a dress and I'll be arrested and have to be bailed out of jail to attend Jerry's Memorial Service!" Long story short, I re-entered Nordstrom, told them what I had done, paid for the dress and was not arrested!
Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2008 - Jerry's Memorial Service. I get dressed and as I'm walking out of my bedroom, my brother Tracy comes up the stairs. He told me I looked nice and I asked him if I had gotten all the tags cut off. His reply, "Yes...everything but that security button on your jacket!" You know, the one that will explode ink everywhere if you try to remove it yourself. Mind you, we are leaving for Jerry's service in 20 minutes. All I could say was, "Run, Tracy, run. Run to Macy's and get this tag off." Tracy said, "I don't remember how to get to Macy's." And, I replied, "Then run to the Rennick's and have them take you!" God love our neighbors! They have all done so much for me...and once again they came to the rescue. (Tracy later meets me in the parking lot of the church and I put my jacket on!)
Thank you God, for sweet memories, funny moments, laughter and life!
Praying boldly for God's direction and guidance!
Candy
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Candy,
Isn't it wonderful to have siblings that will take care of you in time of need. I thank God for my siblings and the support they gave me all through my cancer treatment. I can just imagine your shopping trips! It is great to be able to laugh even when things are going wrong. I am so glad that you have those memories to treasure. Still praying for you and the children.
Love,
Jill
Post a Comment