Sunday, October 19, 2008

Dear Friends,


Just some of my revelations from this week and today. When we arrived home this past Monday evening from Arkansas our little neighbor, Ryan, brought our mail over to me that his family collected while we were gone. While thumbing through it I came across a piece of mail for Jerry. A Jury Summons! Jerry had been summoned for jury duty. My first thought was cynical (grief was heavy at the moment since we had just arrived back home...alone) and I thought, "what a way to get out of jury duty Jerry." I laid the summons on the counter and for some reason found myself picking it up ever so often when I would pass by and see it. I would look at it, re-read it, and just kind of hold it questioningly? I have thought about that jury summons a lot this past week. I've even had to call the Courthouse to let them know that Jerry would definitely not be showing up at his appointed time......And, then God speaks....."Candy, Jerry has been summoned alright, but he has been served a summons to appear before the most sovereign Supreme Court Judge there is! And, yes, he did appear at his appointed time."

Today was our first day back to church since Jerry's illness began. It was not easy going to church without him. But guess what the chorus was to one of the songs we sang this morning?

Better is one day in your courts
Better is one day in your house
Better is one day in your courts
Than a thousand elsewhere

The chorus is taken from Psalm 84:10 "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked."

And God speaks.....

Love,

Candy


4 comments:

Jill Stacy said...

Candy,

All those "firsts" are going to be difficult for you and the children. Unfortunately, a lot of those times are coming along soon. The first Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. But, God will get you through it all. Today is the 33rd anniversary of my mother's death and all I can do is think about her today. I still miss her after all these years. Our sermon yesterday (brought by Dianne Swaim) was on remembering. Dianne asked us to just remember the times God had gotten us through different things and to thank Him for it. I remembered when He got me through the deaths of each of my parents, when He got me through my divorce and how He blessed me by bringing Felix into my life. It is good to remember all the things God has done for us even when some of those memories still hurt. My love goes to you, Natalie and Joshua and I am keeping you all in my prayers.
Love,
Jill

Unknown said...

Candy,

EVERYtime I read one of your blogs and the one time I got to see you, I see/saw God in YOU!!! I mean, i read your blogs and know that God Loves His kids so much. I feel like God is useing you to give me hope! He is inspiring me through You! He is letting me know that no matter what He is there for me and Loves me through You!!!!

Candy! i always thought you were/are an AMAZING wife, mom, and an all around genuine, humble servant of God!!!! When i got to teach sunday with you, i always was learning something from you. Now that i'm teaching sunday school again with our same kids again, i remember all the good times! I remember thinking and knowing that God gave Josh and Natalie the best mom, and what a Lucky man Jerry is!!!!!

PRAYING FOR YOU GUYS WITH ALL HIS LOVE,

Kristin DuPriest <><

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing this! It gave me chills to hear how God is walking with you through it all! Praying for you every day throughout the day! Last night I prayed again for your hearts to be healed and for God to bring unique blessings to you and the kids for special memories during this time of your lives together.
Love,
Michelle R.

vickih said...

Candy,

God is so good. And he and Jerry are looking down on you with such joy as they see you being a living testimony to the blessed Saviour we serve.

This December 1 will be the 4th anniversary of my dad's death. I can assure you that I still miss him, and there are days I spend time simply looking at the picture taken of mom and dad a month before he died and talking with him.

God gets you through all the firsts, and all the seconds and your heart will heal. Memories and pictures and laughter and tears get you through. Michael and my dad were best of friends, and this summer was really the first time Michael could talk about my dad without crying.

My favorite picture you posted on the blog is the one of Batman and Robin! What a beautiful memory. Joshua will always know that his dad was a super hero! And that when he grows up he can be just like his dad - a wonderful father and husband who loves Jesus and shares Jesus with everyone.

My prayers are with you and Joshua and Natalie. I'm glad you will continue to journal and share life with us here in Little Rock.

BTW - we did get that prayer team started on Wednesday nights and I am in the Written Prayers room each Wednesday. We have also started a prayer shawl ministry and I am participating in that. So I do come regularly on Wednesday's now. I'll never forget you asking me if I really would come for any event on Wednesdays.

Thanks for your witness as you share life with us. May God continue to bless you beyond measure in the coming days.

Prayerfully,

Vicki Haydon