Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hello Dear Friends,

I have so many thoughts throughout the day and have so much I want to say, but it is nearly impossible to find the time right now to sit down and blog (but I love doing it when I get the chance). I am somewhat overwhelmed with the responsibility that I have been left with knowing that I am a single mother now and don't have Jerry to help with anything regarding the kids, home, finances, family decisions, etc. Many of you have commented that this blog has been an "inspiration" to you, and I just want each of you to know that my strength only comes from God and He is what sustains me. I am still human too! I still feel the sting of pain and I definitely have my share of heartaches, but my hope remains in the fact that I can still call upon HIS name. I certainly don't claim to be holier than thou! I'm just a simple sinner who has received God's good grace, somehow!

I am grieving the loss of Jerry very heavily and am just so extremely sad. EVERYTHING reminds me of him right now. Many of you have asked to help and I know that each of you would in any way possible, and truly the only thing that you can do right now is to continue to love my family and pray for us. And, please know that I welcome and cherish memories you have of Jerry. Several of you have shared even simple little memories that you have of even Jerry interacting with your children perhaps on the ball field, etc. Also, I want you to know that it is not a taboo to say his name! Please, feel free to talk about him when you talk to me and refer to him by name!

I think back to Jerry's Memorial Services (both the one in CA and AR) and am still truly humbled by the outpouring of love and support. Even in the beginning, both Jerry and I were so moved by the love that was shown to us when we first found out that he had cancer. We kept looking at each other and would cry and just say, "Lord, who are WE that people would care so much about US?" There are so many of you that traveled a great distance just to attend his service in Little Rock. I am still in shock. There was family and/or friends that came from Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Minnesota, North and South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Hawaii, Tennessee and perhaps others. On top of this, there are many friends of Jerry's parents and my parents that traveled from Batesville and Jonesboro out of love and support of our parents in their time of need. Thank you, dear friends, thank you for honoring Jerry's memory and honoring me with your presence at his service. And thank you too Steve & Patti and Craig for attending his CA service from Napa and San Francisco. I know it wasn't easy - especially considering his CA service was on a Tuesday and that is a 5+ hour drive. I really appreciate all you dear friends, and I sincerely hope that you know that I mean it!

I have more to say, but it will have to be at a later time. And, I still have some sweet and funny things to share that occured when my family and siblings were in California with me helping after Jerry's death...so stay tuned!

2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. !!!

Praying boldly in Him!

Candy




4 comments:

MicheLe said...

Candy,

I love that you are continuing to post on this blog as you process all that you have experienced. It is a joy and a privilege to "walk" (or read!) alongside you, and as long as you want to post I will continue to read and pray for you and Natalie and Joshua. I often find it easier to write my thoughts rather than say them, and how convenient to only have to say it once to everyone. :-) God bless you, my friend.

Michele Mollkoy

Leanne Lepley said...

I have so many memories of my brother but the one that comes to mind is when he saw my twins for the first time. He was such the proud uncle. I have a picture of him holding both Peyton and Hayley at the same time. He was looking at them with such love. I have other pictures of him pushing them around in the double stroller.

I love Jerry and miss him so much. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about him, Candy, Natalie and Joshua. All we can do now is hold on to all of the memories we have of him and I cherish each and every one of them.

Leanne

Laura Zurborg Grimes said...

Dear Candy,
I did not get to attend the visitation, but I did attend Jerry's service in LR. It was a beautiful memorial to him!! You may not remember me, but I used to work with Jerry at KPMG many years ago. He was such a great teacher and mentor to all of us! I have such great memories of the fun we all used to have during our accounting days. We played co-ed softball for KPMG, and we could always rely on Jerry to make almost all the plays and pull us through to victory. I had forgotten what an "eater" he used to be until I heard that funny story at the service. That was definitely true!!

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you how saddened we all were when we heard about Jerry's illness. I started following your struggle when you first started blogging. Your strength and grace has been amazing, and is such an example for all of us!! Jerry would be so proud of you!! He was truly a remarkable man. He was never unkind to anyone, and I feel honored to have known him.

I pray that you will continue to find the strength you need to get through these dark days. Please konw that there are a lot of people out there praying for you and your children!!

In Christ,
Laura Zurborg Grimes

Michelle Darr said...

Candy,

The e-mail you sent Kent yesterday did make him SMILE!! Last night he had his laptop out reading your e-mail and I was looking at him because he had this big smile across his face. I ask him what he was reading and he told me. He really does want a picture of Joshua in that Fed-Ex cap. We have so many great memories of Jerry. Thinking and praying for you and the kids everyday.

Love,

Michelle