Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Dear Friends,

It is Tuesday night now and I just wanted you to know that Jerry did not have a very good day today. It was an extremely challenging day for his nurse to maintain a balance between all of his vital signs. Something was always out of whack (which was disheartening since he has had 2 good days in a row before today)! After lunch his blood pressure dropped extremely low, Jerry was unable to maintain his oxygen levels, and then his heart rate began spiking again. At one point there was a respiratory therapist and 2 nurses in his room, and then other nurses on the phone calling his Oncologist, Cardiologist and Pulmonary doctor at all once. It was quite nerve racking to say the least. The Oncologist decided to go ahead with his chemo even though he wasn't doing very well, and just feels like Jerry can't wait anymore. We must see improvement in his lungs this week and hopefully soon. My brother reminded me that "Our God specializes in dramatic improvements" which made me smile and pray all the harder! His hair is now falling out in clumps and I have opted to have someone come in and buzz cut it and then it won't be as messy. Sorry Jerry, I'm doing the best I can since you aren't helping in the decision making process!

As I looked out his window a lot today while holding his hand I stared at the mountains and remembered the verse of a song that I learned at a Women of Faith Conference several years ago..."the mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of HIS beautiful name." If the mountains will bow down and the seas will roar at even just the sound of the name of our precious Savior, think of what our prayers can do when we call upon His name with just the faith of a little mustard seed!

I am being very bold and persistent in my prayers of healing for Jerry - please continue to join me just the same. I love each of you!

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

We serve an awesome God that has overcome the world!

Praying boldly,

Candy

13 comments:

Shea said...

I knew there was a reason that I stayed up. I am already praying for you guys. I can not believe your spirit and resolve. I wrote once that you are my hero but it really is true. I can only hope that if I were in your position that I could take care of LeAnn half as well as you are taking care of Jerry. I don't know if I have already told you this but a guy that I once read said that "To think is to pray." in that case you guys are being prayed for constantly. You are an inspiration and an example. May God bless you.
Shea
3 John 2

Brick said...

Candy,

You're doing incredible things for Jerry and making all the right decisions. The Lord is absolutely with you and He's answering my prayers that you have a clear mind and discernment when it comes to the many decisions that you must make. And yes, even down to shaving the hair from Jerry's head...it is the right decision. I'm also praying that the Lord will continue to give you rest...and the strength...that you need and that you feel a calmness that only the Lord can bring...as the storm rages on around you.

No one is ceasing to BOLDLY pray that Jerry's body will be fully and completely healed.

In Him,
Scott

Anonymous said...

May today be all you need it to be. May the peace of God and the freshness of the Holy Spirit rest in your thoughts, rule in your dreams tonight, and conquer all your fears. May God manifest himself today in ways you have never experienced. May your joys be fulfilled, your dreams be closer, and your prayers be answered. I pray that faith enters a new height for you; I pray that your territory is enlarged. I pray for peace, healing, health, happiness, prosperity, joy, true and undying love for God.

Candy we are boldly praying for you, Jerry, the children and all the family and friends. You are such a strong and amazing woman. There wasn't a day that went by when we were there by your side day in and day out, that I wasn't in aww of you. We love you and really miss you and all the family. We are just sorry we couldn't get to stay longer, but am glad of the time we spent. We are all wearing the bracelets and we never take them off. Thank you.

God bless you,

Donna Anderson

Doze said...

Just wanted you and Jerry to know that I'm thinking of you both and love you very much! All of the old clan from our BSU days are all praying with you. Just as the sun rises, may the light of God's abundant grace shine brightly upon you. (I'm sure that's in the Bible some where!)
Love you!
Todd Wages

Jill Stacy said...

Candy,
Just a comment about buzzing Jerry's hair. Last year when I was going through chemo and my hair started falling out it was pretty upsetting. It was coming out in clumps. First I had it buzzed, then shaved and I felt much better. It was the falling out that bothered me more than being bald. So, I think you made the right decision in having Jerry's hair buzzed. I am praying for all of you many times a day.
Love,
Jill

Kim Davis said...

Candy,

I am following your blog daily and giving Les updates each night. Know that we are praying for you all fervently and boldly. I am amazed by your strength and clarity that must surely come from the Father. As well as praying for Jerry, I am especially praying for your children. You honor Jerry and the Father with what you are doing.

Love,
Kim
Isaiah 43:2

Stacy Borek said...

Dear Candy,

I learned of Jerry's illness last week and have been following your blog ever since. Every day, you remind me of the best things in life; love, laughter, caring, and sharing. Your love of life and the lord is so strong and powerful, you find humor when it would seem impossible to most, your caring is phenominal, and thank you for sharing. Through you Candy, we have all been able to join forces and share our love, laughter, and caring for you, Jerry, and your family. There is a powerful force that has united and have faith that Jerry will recover!!

Eric Fish said...

Candy,

You are an amazing and strong person and Jerry is very lucky to have you with him.

For what it's worth, all of his cycling buddies--The Cinquantas-- and their families think of Jerry many times a day, we read the blog, and pray for his speedy recovery constantly. Even our kids, who've never met Jerry, are praying for his recovery.

Eric Petersen

laurapaulm said...

Candy,
You are making excellent decisions. I can only imagine the difficulty of those decisions - even ones about shaving Jerry's hair. You continue to amaze me with your strength and perservernce. We continue to pray for discernment for you as you approach each decision. Just remember you are being lifted up hourly.
We love you,
Laura

Michelle said...

We're still here praying all throughout the days and nights. I check the blog many times during the day waiting for your updates. I so appreciate you doing this! I leave Friday for the retreat for Pure Joy International where I am leading worship for missionary women in Venezuela. Our 15 member team is still praying for you guys and will continue to pray on this trip. We'll be singing...
"Savior, He can move the mountains,
Our God is mighty to save,
He is mighty to save,
Forever, Author of salvation,
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus, conquered the grave."
I know if He can conquer the grave He can conquer cancer for Jerry and we pray that He will.
"But to you who fear My name the Sun of Righteousness shall arise with healing in His wings..." Malachi 4:2
Love you!!
Michelle Reid

Angie Clayton Byrd said...

Candy,
This is very special to me...I read it alot when dad was sick.

Loving and Praying,
Angie

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
abides under the shadow of the Almighty.

He shall say to the Lord,
"You are my refuge and my stronghold,
my God in whom I put my trust."

He shall deliver you from the snare of the hunter
and from the deadly pestilence.

He shall cover you with his pinions,
and you shall find refuge under his wings;
his faithfulness shall be a shield and buckler.

You shall not be afraid of any terror by night,
nor of the arrow that flies by day;

Of the plague that stalks in the darkness,
nor of the sickness that lays waste at mid-day.

A thousand shall fall at your side
and ten thousand at your right hand,
but it shall not come near you.

Your eyes only have to behold
to see the reward of the wicked.

Because you have made the Lord your refuge,
and the Most High your habitation,

There shall no evil happen to you,
neither shall any plague come near your dwelling.

For he shall give his angels charge over you,
to keep you in all your ways.

They shall bear you in their hands,
lest you dash your foot against a stone.

You shall tread upon the lion and the adder;
you shall trample the young lion and the serpent
under your feet.

Because he is bound to me in love,
therefore will I deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my Name.

He shall call upon me, and I will answer him;
I am with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and bring him to honor.

With long life will I satisfy him,
and show him my salvation.


Psalms 91: 1-16

Michelle Cook said...

Candy, the Cook family and Little Rock Church is praying for Jerry, you and the kids. We are praying for healing for Jerry and strength for you. May the God of All Mercy Strenghten you.

Lynn and Michelle Cook

Brenda said...

Candy, I just found out about Jerry only a week ago. I have been trying to get an email for you - so I am glad to see that you are posting Jerry's daily progress. I have been praying for your family. You have such a wonderful spirit through all of this! God will honor your family. I will continue to pray! My scripture for you is Psalm 46. Love to you all, Brenda Lay