Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dear Friends of Jerry,

Jerry's Oncologist met with me this morning to let me know that the "Tumor Board" at our hospital met yesterday regarding Jerry's case (five of the eight Oncologists on board and several top Radiologists) reviewed his case once again, have conferred with Dr. Eckardt at UCLA again...and they are ALL still so baffled. They now seem to think that perhaps Jerry's cancer originated in the chest - but are still calling it Germ Cell Tumor. However, there are so many characteristics about it that don't match up exactly or make sense. His exact words were "we have NEVER seen anything like this before." Wouldn't you know Jerry would have to be different. I can see it now - he will have this type of cancer named after him! He has a chest x-ray every morning and so far the tumors in his lungs have not responded to the chemo at all. They haven't continued to spread or grow, but are not shrinking yet either - which is a little discouraging to hear of course..."But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. " Romans 8:26b

We are being told that the next 24 to 48 hours are again critical. Please pray for the tumors in his lungs to respond to treatment and for God to just intervene! Please, please pray boldly right now for a miracle! I am still so hopeful for a full recovery. Our God is bigger than this and the anchor still holds!

Proverbs 17:22 "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."
With that said, my humor for the day: My Mom thought Lance Armstrong was an astronaunt. Secondly, the nursing staff suggested bringing music for Jerry to listen to. He doesn't have an ipod, but Natalie has an ipod shuffle that he helped her load music onto...the little earphones are in his ears. He is listening to Hannah Montana, The Jonas Brothers, High School Musical, the soundtrack to Wicked (the Broadway Musical)... among who knows what else? hee hee

Love,

Candy

8 comments:

Janice Daniell said...

Oh Candy!! Poor Jerry. He is going to wake up just so he can tell you to get the earbuds out of his ears!

Worshipboy Tom said...

Candy,
I just got word about Jerry from Donna Gosser. I wanted you to know that Sally and I will be praying for you. Sally is a cancer survivor - 5 years! Yeh God! We will pray for your entire family as you walk this road together. Just remember, nothing is impossible with God!
Tom Wideman

Brenda Craig said...

Candy, we are so sorry and praying constantly that God will bless Jerry and the family.I'm friends with Carolyn and Joe. I can still see yours and Jerrys smile when we were shaking hands this past summer. I hadn't seen Jerry in years and he hadn't aged any is still cute as ever. We are praying adn love you very much, please tell Carolyn and Joe that we love them and hope to see them soon, if so that means Jerry would be better. Love you dearly, Brenda Craig

shanda said...

Candy, Taya, Caleb, Luke and Tony and I are on our knees as afamily for Jerry and you all. We are praying the Lord whom is the great physician will heal Jerry and bring him to full recovery. God says what ever is asked in His name will be givin when in accordance with the His will, and we pray boldly for your family this mirical for Jerry. Candy we love you and stay in stead fast prayer for you all and are here for any need. He is so faithfull and is with you always.

Anonymous said...

Candy,
I got a quick update from Brent at church tonight. What a roller coaster ride you are on! Deanna and I are praying for Jerry, you and your family. Your faith is inspiring and I sense that this is a perfect opportunity for God to perform a miracle.

"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost" (Romans 15:13).

Jim Bryant
Nettleton Baptist Church

Michelle Cook said...

Candy, Just wanted you to know Lynn and I are praying for you and Jerry and your kids every day. Our house church prayed for you all just a few hours ago. I know everyone else at LRC is too. I love your pieces of humor you have included on the updates.

allyson said...

Candy
I'm not sure Jonas Brothers & Hannah would be my music of choice but hey, if they works, then go for it. I am so blessed by your strength & humor at such a dark time. I pray for your continued strength and humor. I heard tonight that the folks are with you, that has to be such comfort to you, Natalie & Joshua.
Love you everyone,
Allyson

Shea said...

Candy we are so proud of you. I told Jerry's story to my men's group a church tonight. One guy said, "Hey, I heard about him from a coworker who knows someone who went to church with them." There are people praying for you that don't even know you. I have a friend in WV who is a cancer doctor. He is praying for you. You guys are nationwide.
We love you.